Thursday, May 5, 2011

DEGRAVES. that is all.

Having a rather cruisy work life *ahem, i work 4 days a week,
I took myself on a little excursion into the Big Smoke.
aka. Melbourne.
Did it the old fashioned way & caught a train in.
I often find myself wandering the streets & laneways- which there are an abundance of in this fine city.
And every single time, i don't even know how or why, i always seem to end up in one particular street.
Degraves Street.
I always feel a little bit awkward when i venture here.
It's the kind of street that is narrow, has cafes either side, restaurants, boutique little shops & just a lot of nooks & crannies.
Why do i feel awkward when it sounds so amazing you ask..
Well, i guess it's because people come here to be seen.
People come here to sip espresso's & lattes.
People come here to eat little cupcakes.
Word on the street is its the place to be.
I totally don't get it. It's just little old Melbourne afterall.
Oh & the fact that the centre of the street is full of tables & chairs with the abovementioned sitting around them in their finest op shop cardigan that they paid $5 for & as you stride passed them it feels like you are on parade with hundreds of eyes following you.
Yeah, awkward.
Don't get me wrong.
It's a very hip little place to visit & visit you must if you've never been to Melbourne.
I personally, just don't like being watched.
Instantly my brain goes into overdrive...
*do i have food on my face?
*did i sit on something?
*is there something on my shirt?
I want to melt into the background and watch YOU.
And that right there darlings, is the unadulterated truth.
I wish to be the observer, not the observed.
Maybe you'll spot me hiding in a corner, sipping a steaming coffee while watching you.
Nothing sinister.. i promise :)
That is all. I'll see you next time, Degraves.
xox

2 comments:

  1. i just look at the ground or focus on the distance.
    i hate the trends,
    i hate the fashionistas,
    i hate what hipsters have done to the word hipster...
    a million awesome jazz cats from the 40's are turning in their graves.

    what is wrong with society?
    like at what stage did a giant chunk of society develop such a low self esteem that it's people need to hang out in designated cool areas just to get an unknowns glance of acceptance to make themselves feel better?

    And they sit with the coffee and the fixie bike chained up nearby and preen their hairs all the while thinking about how good their super ridiculous and original outfits look to passing hipster kids who are in fact thinking the exact same thing about their clothing choices.

    a million clones outfits comprised of rolled up pant cuffs, no socks, old man shoes/vans waffle soles and shirts buttoned to the top. could it get any more boring?

    probably not.

    please note:
    the word 'original' in the above rant is used in the loosest possible term.

    ReplyDelete